Sunday Worship 11.00 am
Informal worship 4th Sunday
at 6.30 pm
West Street, BS26 2AA
With a dozen or so regulars worshippers including members from one born and bred a few doors away to another form Ireland and
friends from overseas, the church tries to meet once a month to study together, share fellowship, and discuss ongoing business.
worship 11.00 a.m. Sundays; informal worship 6.30p.m. on the 4th Sunday
Uniformed organisations and The Town council join us to celebrate
harvest and many also come to the carol service followed by a tea, during Advent.
Axbridge is exploring a vision to use the church
building as a community resource - if possible to house a credit union and community computer, alongside a regular drop in centre
for coffee and advice on a range of available services.
Along with Cheddar and Wedmore churches we support the Kings of Wessex
schools Christian worker.
On the 4th Sunday of each month we meet to worship, to seek God’s will for his church in the town and to
pray in a new congregation.
A large hall is available underneath the church where there is also a small kitchen area. We
have recently removed some pews at the back of the Church to create a hospitality area and look forward to making a similar space
at the front for more creative worship to allow freedom of movement for those with wheels.
Members of the church also involve
themselves in the Town council and other groups and events that happen here.
The church has many well wishers in the town and through
them is able to raise funds for a nominated charity each year. This includes an Anniversary coffee morning held in the church hall,
and a Christmas coffee one held in the town hall. A very popular ploughman’s lunch is offered in the garden of one of our members,
and the church runs a stall at the ‘Somerset showcase’ each September.
The proceeds from all our fundraising events are divided between
the church and the charity for the year.
The church was built in 1850; at a cost of 500 pounds. It is a pleasant Gothic style building with a fine hall underneath the
It is blessed with 10 beautiful stain glass windows. In 1907 and 1908, Sydney Hill JP, Langford House, donated four
of them, depicting Jesus with four apostles, and Jesus feeding the five thousand. The fifth window pictures of an Angel, was placed
by J.A. March. The sixth, Jesus as a Good Shepherd with a lamb was donated in memory of Charles Tilley and his wife.
The hall better
known as a school room is and has been used over the years as a small private school and a Sunday School. It is currently used by
Minister. Revd C Chaplin
Church Stewards: Edith Channon; Yvonne Chamberlain; Doreen Terry
Stewards: Yvonne Chamberlain
Church Council Secretary: Edith Channon
Worship Leaders: Readers and Intercessors are available.
Axbridge Chershire Home is also part of our Church Family, where we lead worship on the 1st and 3rd Sundays.