Site Map and Index
Sunday Worship 10.30 am
and also at 6.30pm
North Street, BA7 7AT
SO…….WHO ARE WE?
We are a Christian church and part of a group of churches known as the Somerset Mendip Circuit. We aim to welcome
people of any age at whatever stage in their journey of Christian faith. We have been growing steadily in recent years but have plenty
of room for you.
Typically around seventy of us meet regularly for worship on Sunday mornings. Evening services attract anything between
ten and twenty-five people.
We have a wide representation of age groups with a strong Junior Church for the under 11’s and a thriving
youth fellowship for the 11-18s.
Our worship varies from a traditional Methodist to a more informal, contemporary style. Praise and
healing services have become a valuable part of the life of the church too.
We are committed to ensuring that you receive a warm,
WHAT GOES ON AT THE CHURCH?
The present programme is summarised below and is open to anyone.
Sunday morning worship from
10.30 to 11.30 am
Services are led by the minister or a preacher from the town and area. We hope the atmosphere is relaxed but reverent.
On the first Sunday of the month the service will include Holy Communion to which all are welcome.
We have a strong group of young
people of all ages. Those under age 11 meet in the lower hall. Those over this age meet in what is called “The Upper Room” where some
lively debate takes place.
We have multimedia presentation facilities for use in our services with a sound system and hearing loop.
Coffee is served after most services so there is a chance to get to know one another.
Sunday evening worship: These services 6.30
to 7.30 pm
The services are often adapted and presented in a more relaxed and informal way including a monthly "All Age" worship.
A SHORT HISTORY
1784 John Wesley visited Cary, the first of 5 visits.
secured a preaching house with stable.
1789 Castle Cary Society of Methodists part of Shepton Mallet circuit.
Castle Cary head of separate circuit.
1905 Amalgamation with Glastonbury circuit to form Mid-Somerset Mission.
Present church opened (free of debt by 1877). Lofty Georgian building, consisting of church and gallery, with a
large schoolroom beneath. Initially variously used for teaching of juveniles, a day school, a Temperance meeting of the foundation
of the Good Templer's Lodge.
1874 High pews and old fashioned pulpit removed and replaced by modern style pews.
Central chandelier replaced by gas brackets (gas had come to Cary in 1853).
1875 First organ purchased.
Chapel renovation. Preacher's vestry erected (cost £125.12.2d)
1895 Present organ erected; 28 additional
1897 Manse, Wesley Villa, built in Ansford Road (now an old people's home, as is previous manse
The Hollies in Florida Street). £1,200 for land, legal fees, building and furnishing.
1898 Chapel roof repaired.
Interior decorated and beautified. A new board floor was put in the schoolroom at a cost of £70.
removed from gallery to new organ chamber at the back of the pulpit. New choir stalls fitted. 2 new vestries built
and hot water heating apparatus installed. New windows installed of cathedral tinted glass. Extra
lavatory provided. Gas lighting brought up to date. Rev. Luke Wiseman, ex President of Conference preached at re-opening.
& 1960's Removal of front pillared portico (unsafe). Change to electric under-pew heating in church and
gas heaters in schoolroom. Major refurbishment and decoration in church. Choir pews removed and accommodation for choir
made at side front. Pulpit removed to opposite side front, leaving larger communion and preaching area.
Installation of built-in kitchen in schoolroom.
1989 150 years celebration.
of Stannah lift from schoolroom to church. Restoration of graveyard and garden.
1980s Onward schoolroom
increasingly used for 'outside activities'.
2000s Church completely redeveloped with modern visual and sound equipment.
Organ and all pews removed and reception area widened to promote open and welcoming atmosphere. New toilet available at rear
of the church.
2010s Kitchen in schoolroom re-sited and modernised. An additional toilet with
baby-changing facilities installed.
The inherited Grade II listed building provides us with a good
centre to focus our worship and belong to a warm fellowship.